Avarakkai Paruppu curry | How to make avarakkai paruppu curry
Avarakkai paruppu curry – comforting recipe to have with rice or dosa or idli. This broad beans dal is a healthy combo of broad beans and dal. The only ingredient for spiciness is green chilli. cumin seeds and green chilli together gives nice aroma, same like mor kuzhambhu or avial recipe.I already posted pudalangai dal and poosanikai kootu using dal. But this paruppu curry is completely different and I love to have with dosai. The process of making avarakkai paruppu curry is little lengthy. But I am sure if all the ingredients are set ready, its simple to make.
Prep time : 10 mins | cook time : 15 mins | serves : 4
Cuisine : south indian | source : here
Avarakkai paruppu curry recipe – Ingredients
Avarakkai / Broad beans- 1cup (chopped lengthwise)
Toor dal – ½ cup
Tamarind – small lemon size
Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
Jaggery – 1 tbsp
Salt – as needed
Coriander leaves – few (optional)
To roast and grind :
oil – 1 tsp
Coriander seeds – 2 tbsp
Pepper corns – ½ tsp
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Tomatoes – 2 nos(finely chopped)
Green chillies – 2 nos(slitted)
To season :
Oil – 2tbsp
Mustard – 1 tsp
How to make Avarakkai paruppu curry recipe:
- Wash avarakkai(broad beans), remove the strings on both sides, and cut into medium long pieces.
- Cook in stove top or pressure cook for three whistles. Once done drain the water and keep cooked avarakkai. Keep the water to use in kuzhambhu or use the water to soak tamarind.
- Pressure cook dal and keep aside.
- Heat a pan, add tsp of oil and roast the ingredients given under “to roast and grind”. Let the tomatoes cook completely. Cool them and process it in a mixer adding enough water to fine paste.
- Heat a pan, add oil , once heated add mustards seeds, then add tamarind water. After it starts boiling, add cooked dal, jaggery, salt, turmeric powder and grinded masala.
- Allow it to cook in medium low flame for 5 minutes. Now add cooked broad beans. Let it boil for 4 minutes.
- Turn off the flame and add chopped coriander leaves.
Serve with steam hot plain rice/ dosa /idli.
- Make sure there is no gems in broad beans while cleaning.
- Addition of jaggery is optional. If you don’t like mild sweetness on food, you can skip it.
- While seasoning you can add dry red chillies for extra spiciness.
Check out recipe index for all recipe collections