Bisi bele bath recipe | Rice Recipes | Indian Recipes
Bisi bele bath recipe is an authentic flavourful Karnataka recipe. Bisi bele bath recipe is commonly found in restaurants that serve the Udupi cuisine .Bisi bele bath recipe is the combination of dal and rice and is served piping hot with the accompaniment of onion or cucumber raita and papad. The spice powder used for this recipe makes it rich, aromatic and tasty. Also we can prepare this spice powder a day before and refrigerate for future use.Nowadays we can get the bisibelebath spice powder in grocery shops.I used home made one. Will post the spice powder soon.. Now to the recipe
Check out more indian veg recipes in recipe index
Bisi bele bath recipe – Ingredients
Prep time : 20 mins | Cook time : 20 mins | Serves : 4
Recipe category : Rice recipes | Cuisine : South Indian | source : Friend
- Rice – 1 cup
- Toor dhal – ½ cup
- Vegetables – 1 ½ cup(drumstick,Carrot and beans)
- Tamarind – small lemon size
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Salt – as needed
- Small Onions or shallots – 10 to 15 nos.
- Tomato – 1 no. Big size(Finely chopped)
- Grated copra(Dried coconut) – 1 cup
- Coriander leaves – ¼ cup( to garnish)
- Oil -2 ½ tbsp.
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Marudhani Mokku/marati Moggu – 2 to 3
To roast and grind(Spice powder):
- Cinnamon stick – small piece
- Cloves – 3 to 4
- Cardamom -1
- Khus khus/Poppy seeds – 1 tbsp
- Coriander seeds – 2 tbsp
- Red chilli – 8 to 10 nos.
- Methi/Fenugreek seeds – ½ tsp
- Channa dal – 1 tbsp
- Urad dal – 1 tbsp
- Ghee – 1 tbsp
- Heat ghee in a pan,roast the items given under “ To roast and grind” one by one without burning.Let it cool for sometime and grind it as a fine powder.
- Grate the dried coconut (Copra)and keep aside.
- Cut the needed veggies,onions and tomatoes.
- Pressure cook dal and rice separately.
- Now heat the heavy bottomed pan, add oil,temper with mustard and Marudani mokku,then add onions and tomatoes ,sauté well for sometime,then add cooked dal and vegetables,turmeric and salt.
- Cook closed for 5 minutes. Then add cooked rice,once it starts to boil,add tamarind water along with ½ cup of water.
- Once it start boiling, add the spice powder, mix well and cook for 8 to 10 minutes in low flame covering with lid.
- Keep stirring occasionally, without sticking at the bottom.Then add grated coconut and mix well.
- Finally add coriander leaves and 1tbsp of ghee , mix well and Switch off the stove.
- Cook dal and rice with little more water than usual.
- The food should be little runny while it is hot. Then it will become normal after cooled down.
- You can add ¼ tsp of fenugreek seeds while tempering. But its optional only.
- Keep stirring without sticking at the bottom.
- Add some ghee touch at the end.
- The Vegetables mentioned above is optional. In addition you can add chow chow, peas and other veggies.