Bitter Gourd Fry / Paakarkai Poriyal
Bitter Gourd fry – Paakarkai Poriyal à healthy recipe which is not a favourite for most of people due to its bitter nature. But the proper cooking of paakarkai will not bitter much. In my home everybody likes bittergourd no one is an exception. Because my mom used to prepare it in a nice and crispy way. It will taste good with the accompaniment of sambar and rasam.
Apart from the taste and all it has loads of health aids. It kills the worms in stomach. Also helps in weight loss. It has abundant supply of fibre and vitamins. So it helps to keep you beautiful :). I heard it is good for sugar patients as well.
We can make this so crispy . But I made it with the combo of onion and tomatoes. This is my very first time trying with tomatoes and onion. It turned out well with slight tangy touch. I served with Bisibellabath 🙂
Bittergourd Poriyal – Ingredients
- Bittergourd/ Paakarkai – 1 cup(Washed and sliced)
- Big Onion – 1 no(Finely chopped)
- Tomato – 1 no(Finely chopped)
- Red Chilli powder/Kuzhambhu Milagai thool – 1 tbsp
- Salt – as needed
- Coconut – 2 tbsp
To temper :
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Mustard – 1 tsp
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – few spring
- Wash bittergourd thoroughly with tap water and cut into equal sized slices. And keep aside.
- Chop tomatoes and onions and set aside.
- Now heat a strong bottomed wok, add oil , once it get heated ,season with the items given under ”To temper”.
- Then add onions and sauté well till the onions turns transparent. Secondly add the tomatoes and stir well for 3 mins. Then add the chopped bitter gourd and stir in medium flame for 4 mins.
- Next add the chilli powder to it and blend well. Do these things in medium flame.
- Then add little water and salt and close with a lid or plate.
- Keep the flame low. Don’t add more water. 3 to 4 tbsps of water is enough.
- Cook for 5 mins. Stir frequently in the mid to avoid burning of veggie.
- Finally add the shredded coconut and give a quick toss.Turn off the flame and serve with rice.
- To avoid bitterness in paakakai, you can place the sliced veggie in salt water for some while.
- You can add the coconut while adding water also.