Cabbage Poriyal – Cabbage is a healthy vegetable rich in vitamin K and anthocyanins. Moreover its presence in diet plan is high. Yes its ideal for weight loss. You know its just 33 calories in a cup of cooked cabbage. So any diet planners will skip this veggie???nope J But the research says red cabbage has high power nutrients.Lets come to the recipe. I didn’t add coconut in this poriyal. Addition of coconut will give super good taste for this poriyal. Its a best accompaniment for sambar or kara kuzhambhu.
Ingredients – Cabbage Poriyal(without coconut)
- Cabbage – 250gms(chopped finely –lengthwise)
- Big onion – ½ (Finely chopped)
- Green chillies – 2 nos(slitted)
- Hing – a generous pinch
- Coriander leaves – few
- Curry leaves – 1 spring
- Channa dal – 1 tbsp
- Salt –as needed
- Oil – 1tsp
- Mustard – ½ tsp
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- In a sauce pan, add enough water, cabbage, salt and channa dal. Allow it to boil for 6 to 8 mins.Once the cabbage becomes soft and tender, turn off the flame and drain the water completely using a strainer.
- Now heat a pan, add oil and season with mustard and urad dal, then add curry leaves, big onions and green chillies.
- Sauté well till the onion turns transparent. Now add the cooked cabbage. Stir for 2 mins in medium heat. Then turn off the flame and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Instead of channa, we can add frozen or fresh peas in it.
- Adjust the salt as per your taste. After draining the water from cabbage, check the salt level. If it is not sufficient, add little salt while sauting the onions. It will blend along with cabbage.
- This is non coconut version. Coconut lovers can add the shredded coconut at the final stage. Just before 1min to turn off the flame and give a quick stir.
- Addition of coriander leaves , depends on the availability. If it is not avail in stock , we can skip it.