Christmas Fruit Cake | Christmas Recipes
Merry Christmas 🙂 Stay blessed <3
Christmas Fruit Cake – I tried to make in traditional way. This is the first time I tried plum cake using red wine. I didn’t expect the outcome will be super success.The steps looks long and tedious, trust me the result will be flawless. I greased the cake mould with butter and dusted with flour. While unmoulding the cake , I found difficulty . Best is to use parchment sheet at the bottom. I referred this recipe from Maria’s Menu, she used rum to soak the dry fruits. I heard the perfect traditional Christmas cakes are made using dry fruits soaked in rum for one year. I tried in red wine and soaked the nuts just for 24 hrs. I should try to soak for at least a week or month for next year 🙂 . While baking, the house was filled with flavored smell of spices, red wine and dry fruits. What else would make us happy rather than sharing self-made gifts. This cake is perfect for gift packing on this auspicious day.
Here is how to make Christmas fruit cake with stepwise pictures.
Christmas Fruit Cake Recipe | Ingredients
- All purpose flour/ Maida – 2 cups
- Sugar- 1 ¼ cups(powdered)
- Baking Powder – 1 ½ tsp
- Baking soda – ½ tsp
- Eggs – 4 nos
- Vanilla essence – 1 tbsp
- Butter – 250 gms
For spice powder:
- Cinnamon powder – ¼ tsp or small inch stick
- Cardamom powder – ¼ tsp or 2 nos
- Cloves powder – ¼ tsp or 2 nos
- Nutmeg powder – ¼ tsp or 1 no
- Red Wine/Brandy/ Rum – 1 ¼ cup
- Tutti frutti (All colors mixed) – ½ cup
- Cashews,almonds and walnuts – ½ cup(mixed)
- Dates – ¼ cup (chopped)
- Dry grapes- ¼ cup
For Caramel sauce:
- Sugar – ½ cup
- Warm water – ½ cup
- Soak chopped nuts, tutti frutti, dates, and dry grapes in Red wine for 1 week or at least 24 hrs. Keep it dark place and stir using dry wooden ladle once in a day.
- Before preparing the cake drain the soaked dry fruits and nuts completely from wine and dust with flour to prevent the nuts soak at the bottom of the cake. Keep the drained wine to use in cake.
- In a hard bottomed pan add ½ cup sugar, heat till it changes to dark brown as in picture and turn off the flame. Add ½ cup warm water in it, stir and again heat for 2 to 3 mins. While adding warm water , it may splash so handle care and stand in little distance.
- Cool the caramel sauce completely and keep aside.
- Mix all the spice powders and keep aside. If you are not using powders, blend all the ingredients given under spice powder in mixer along with a tsp of maida or sugar.
- Grease cake pan with butter and dust with flour.
- Pre-heat oven for 15mins.
- Sieve the dry ingredients Maida, baking powder and baking soda together and keep aside.
- Separate egg white and yolk separately. Beat the egg white to soft peaks and beat the yolk for a minute, then add butter and beat to creamy consistency.
- Add powdered sugar in two shifts to the cream and beat slowly to blend well.
- Add spice powder , caramel sauce and vanilla essence and beat for a min.
- Then add sieved flour in two shifts and beat in low speed or fold the flour using spatula.
- Now add beaten egg white and fold using spatula or wire whisk. Then add drained wine and jam and fold well.
- Finally add soaked and dusted dry fruits in it and fold the flour gently.
- Pour into greased cake mold to half level and bake for 1 hr.
- After 50 mins, check using fork or tooth pick by inserting in centre of cake. If it comes out clean, the cake is done. Or else bake for another 10 to 15 mins.
- Cool the mould for 15 mins and then invert the cake. Cool the cake completely and make slices.
You might like these recipes also
- Vegan Tutti Frutti Cake
- Tricolor Marble Cake
- Rose Almond Cookies
- Cornflakes cookies
- Chocolate Cup Cakes