Coconut Chutney – Always a best accompaniment for idli, dosa, bajji, kara paniram and fritters. There are also many other ways to make coconut chutney, this version is tangy with addition of tamarind. Also I added red chilli instead of green. It was awesome with mild flavor of garlic and ginger. Lets try this recipe and write me your feedback.
Coconut Chutney – Ingredients
- Coconut – 1 cup (shredded)
- Channa dal – 1 ½ tbsp (dry roasted)
- Red chillies – 2 nos.
- Garlic – 3 cloves
- Ginger – 1 inch piece
- Tamarind – 1 inch
- Salt – as needed
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Mustard – 1 tsp
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – few
- Shred one cup of coconut and keep aside.
- Dry roast channa dal and set aside.
- Take all the ingredients coconut, dry roasted channa dal, red chillies, garlic, ginger, tamarind and salt in a mixer.
- Grind well to a smooth chutney.
- Heat a seasoning pan and temper with the items given under “ to season” and add it to grinded chutney.
- Serve with hot idli or roasted dosa.
- Adjust the salt and red chilli as per your taste. If you want more spicy add two more chillies.
- The tamarind I mentioned is perfect for 1 cup of coconut. If you don’t want more tangy just reduce it little.