Fish Curry | How to prepare fish gravy |Meen Kuzhambhu
Fish Curry – Spicy fish recipe without coconut. Its Easy to make and no need of grinding masalas to make this fish gravy. In kerala fish curry, they used to add coconut. This fish curry without coconut is more spicy and it goes well as sides for rice,idli or dosa varieties. I used panna fish. You can follow the same procedures for any fish varieties.
Check out the step by step recipe with pictures.
Fish Curry | How to prepare fish gravy |Meen Kuzhambhu – Ingredients
Prep time : 15 mins | cook time : 15 mins | serves : 4
Cuisine : Indian | category : Non veg recipes
- Fish – 1/2kg(Cleaned and cut into pieces) (Any variety)
- Shallots(china vengayam / small onions) – ½ cup (finely chopped)
- Garlic flakes – ¼ cup
- Tomato – ¼ cup or 1 big tomato(Finely chopped)
- Tamarind – lemon size
- Salt – as needed
- Turmeric – ½ tsp
- Kuzhambhu chili powder – 4tbsp
- Gingelly oil / Refined oil – 4 tbsp + extra if needed
- Vadagam or ( Fenugreek + cumin seeds(jeera) ) – 1 tbsp vadagam or (1/2 tsp + ½ tsp)
- Curry leaves – few
- Wash And cut the fishes into desired size pieces. You can cut fishes in shop itself. But then wash it thoroughly for 2 to 3 rinses.
- Soak tamarind in hot water for 10 to 15 minutes. Squeeze and extract juice completely. Add salt and kuzhamhu chili powder. Mix well and keep aside.
- Heat a strong bottomed kadai, add oil, once heated then put vadagam or combo of jeera and vendhayam(each ½ tsp).
- After it starts splutter, add onions, garlic and curry leaves. Keep the flame medium to avoid burning.
- Saute for some minutes till the onion becomes translucent and garlic changes pale brown. Then add finely chopped tomatoes(Use riped tomatoes)
- Stir until the tomatoes turns complete mushy. Now add tamarind water mixed with salt and chili powder.
- Allow it to boil till it becomes slightly thick that is a stage before to switch off. Now add cleaned fish pieces allow it to cook for 3 minutes by covering with a lid and switch off the flame.
Serve hot with rice / Idli / dosa
- Use any variety of fish in the same procedure. I used to add fish heads also. If you don’t want add body and tail parts alone.
- If you not using kuzhambhu milagai thool, add red chili powder + coriander powder. But best is to add luzhambhu milagai thool.
- Fishes will cook in short time. So add at the final stage as said in procedures.
- If you don’t have vadagam, add ½ tsp of fenugreek seeds and ½ tsp of cumin seeds.
- Many shouldn’t add curry leaves in fish kuzhambhu. But addition of its will really give a nice flavour.
- Preferably add sesame oil( gingelly oil) for super good taste.
Here is my another fish recipes:
Non vegeterian gravy recipes:
- Naatu kozhi kuzhambhu
- Prawn masala
- Chicken kuzhambhu Restaurant style
- Muttai kuzhambhu
- Spicy Chicken gravy
- Mutton kuzhambhu