Kara chutney!!! My all time fav . I love this blazing chutney with dosa in comparing to idly.. This is a Chettinad recipe and very easy to prepare. Also we can refrigerate to use for the next day. This chutney always gives helping hand for my breakfast during busy weekdays. I hope this hot and tangy chutney tingle your taste buds….
- Peel off shallots and garlic and chop the tomatoes roughly.
- In a blender, grind shallots, garlic, tomatoes and red chillies together. Grind to a smooth paste.
- Then heat a pan, add gingelly oil, once it heated, add mustard and allow it to splutter.Then add Urad dal and curry leaves.
- Allow the urad dal to turn golden color. Now add the grinded paste and add some water.
- No need of adding more water. Just ¼ cup is enough.Then add salt, allow it to boil for 3 mins. Once the chutney leaves oil, switch off the stove.
Serve this hot and spicy kara chutney with dosa or idli.
- Instead of tomato, you can add little tamarind pulp also for tanginess.
- Adjust the red chillies for your spice level.
- Use Kashmiri red chillies which will give nice red color.
- Most important thing, this chutney is best in making with gingelly oil.