Kathrikai Kothsu | Brinjal recipes
Kathrikai kothsu – side dish for pongal/ idli / dosa. Mildly spiced and tasty accompaniment. Serve as thick with pongal and little thin for idli.
Check out how to make kathrikai kothsu.
Kathrikai Kothsu recipe
- Brinjal – 4 to 5 nos(medium size)
- Big onions (vengayam) – ½ cup
- Green chillies – 5 nos(finely chopped)
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Tomatoes – ½ cup
- Moong dal – 1 tbsp
- Idli dosa batter – 3 tbsp
- Coriander leaves – handful (chopped)
- Salt – as needed
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Mustard – 1 tsp
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Channa dal – 1 tbsp
- Curry leaves – few
- Wash brinjal and cut into small cubes and soak in water till use to avoid discoloration.
- Heat kadai, add oil and season with the items given under “ to season”. Then add Chopped onions, green chilles, sauté well for 2 secs. Then add tomato and salt and sauté till the tomatoes cook well.
- Add chopped brinjal and turmeric in it and stir till the skin color of brinjal changes.
- Add moong dal and water and allow to cook covered for 10 minutes in low flame.
- Then slightly mash the curry using ladle.
- Add idli dosa batter and again cook for 5 mins.
- Turn off the flame and garnish with coriander leaves.
Serve hot with pongal/idli /dosa