Keralan Chicken – Nadan Chicken – chicken recipes
Keralan chicken or Nadan chicken is a perfect starter. I referred this from Yummytummy. Thanks Aarthi for sharing this delicious recipe. Sometimes while I try deep fry chicken recipes, the chicken will not cook properly. Or sometimes the masala will not go in. But this recipe is just awesome. The method to pre-cook chicken in pressure cooker works wonderful. Yes the masala completely blended well and the crispy outer layer tastes exotic :). But I marinated for just 30 mins. I was in hurry burry to make it ready 🙂 you can marinate for 2 to 3 hours. This goes well with simple pulav or briyani.
Keralan Chicken – Ingredients
- Chicken – 1 kg
- Onion – 1 no. (Finely chopped)
- Tomato – 1no. (Finely chopped)
- Garam Masala – 1 tsp
- Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander leaves – for garnishing
- Salt – as needed
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Oil – to deep fry
To grind and marinate:
- Onion – 1 no
- Garlic – 10 to 12 nos.
- Pepper powder – 1 tsp
- Cumin powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tbsp
- Chilli powder – 1 tbsp
- Fennel seeds – 1 tbsp
- Cinnamon – 1 inch piece
- Curd – ½ cup
- Lemon juice – 2 tbsp
- Coriander leaves – handful
- Wash chicken thoroughly with turmeric and keep aside.
- Now grind all the ingredients given under “to grind”. Add this mix to chicken, marinate well and let it sit for 2 hours.
- Take a pressure cooker, add the marinated chicken , and cook closed in medium flame for 10 to 15 mins.
- Then open the cooker after the pressure releases.if you see any water remaining on the chicken, open cook the chicken till it fully absorbs the water.
- Now heat another pan and pour oil to deep fry the chicken. Once the oil heated, roast the chicken on both sides till golden brown.
- Keep the roasted chicken aside. Now we have to prepare the outer layer masala.
- Heat a wok, add a tbsp of oil, sauté onions till it becomes transparent. Then add the tomatoes and stir well till it becomes mushy.finally add the red chilli powder and garam masala. Sauté for 2 mins. Sprinkle some salt and give a quick stir.
- Add the roasted chicken to this mixture. Mix well to coat the masala. Garnish with coriander leaves before serving.
Serve with fried rice/Pulav/chapathi
- Adjust the salt level as you need.
- Don’t burn the chicken while roasting.
- If you refrigerate the chicken while marination, let it sit outside for 15 mins to reach room temperature.
Linking this recipe to Beulah’s First Blog Anniversary Give away @ FullScoops