Kuthiraivali Upma | Banyard Millet Upma | Millet Recipes
Kuthiraivali upma recipe is a healthy breakfast recipe. Millets have lot of health benefits. We can make Pongal also using this barnyard millet. The method is similar like rava upma we usually prepare.We can add veggies of our choice.This barnyard millet is more nutritious than atta and good for heart problems.
Let’s see how to make kuthiraivali upma recipe.
Kuthiraivali Upma Recipe
- Kuthiraivalli/Banyard – 1 cup
- Water – 2 ½ cups
- Big onions (medium sized) – 2 nos (finely chopped)
- Carrots – ¼ cup ( finely chopped)
- Green chillies – 3nos( slitted)
- Salt – as needed
- Coriander leaves – 3 tbsp (finely chopped)
- Ghee or Oil – 3 tbsp
- Mustard – ½ tsp
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Channa dal – 1 tbsp
- Roasted peanuts – 1 tbsp (optional)
- Cashews – 3 to 4 nos (optional)
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Rinse barnyard millet for 3 to 4 times well and keep aside.
- Heat a kadai, add oil and temper with the items given under “ to season”.
- Add chopped onions, green chilies and carrot. Stir well for few mins.
- Add water and salt. Bring it to a boil and add washed kuthiravalli.
- Keep the flame low and close with a lid or plate.
- Let it cook in simmer for 5 to 8 mins. Then open and check if all water is absorbed.If it is done garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve with coconut chutney or sambar.
- Kuthiravalli millet used to absorb more water. So you can add 2 ½ cups instead of 2 cups.
- Add beans or potato, cabbage of your choice.
- Adjust the salt as of your taste.
- Green chillies is enough for one cup. If you are spice lover, add one more chili. We can use red chillies too.
You might like these breakfast recipes:
- Cheesy bread toast
- Cheese stuffed paratha
- Tomato Idiyappam
- Ven pongal
- Lemon Sevai
- Semiya kichadi