Lemon Sevai/Lemon Idiyappam
Idiyappam/Sevai is a famous south indian breakfast. We can make varieties in sevai. This one is Lemon sevai/Lemon Idiyappam. I can say it’s a perfect start of the day.This is very simple and easy to prepare.Though we prepare lots of varieties in sevai,Lemon version is the most preferred by everyone. We can make 3 more varieties at a time if guests arrived. Vegetable stew and chutney is a best accompaniment for this dish. It makes a wholesome meal with onion raita.The fans of lemony flavours and traditional recipes must love this recipe 🙂 yes me too 😉 . Lets move on to very light on appetite and quick handy recipe.
- Rice flour – 1 cup
- Lemon – 2 or 1 ½
- Green chilli – 3 no(slitted)
- Coconut – 3 tbsp(shredded)
- Curry leaves – few springs
- Hing – ¼ tsp
- Turmeric – ¼ tsp
- Coconut oil – 1 tsp(To grease achu)
- Salt – as required
- Coconut oil – 2 tbsp
- Mustard – 1 tsp
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Channa dal – 1 tsp
- Sieve rice flour thoroughly. Boil the required amount of water to bubble stage.
- Mix rice flour and salt together.Add water little by little to rice flour and make a soft dough.
- Make as medium balls. Use omapodi achu to make idiyappam.
- First grease achu using coconut oil. Then place the rice dough and press to make idiyappams in idli plate.
- Steam it for 4 mins. Then let it cool for sometime and shred it.
- Now prepare lemon mix. Heat a pan and pour coconut oil. Temper with mustard, urad dal, channa dal ,Hing, green chillies and curry leaves one by one.
- Then add squeezed lemon juice from 3 cups. Once it starts boiling , add turmeric powder and salt. Give a quick stir and switch off the stove.
- Now add the shredded sevai to the mix.Mix well and finally add coconut.
- Mix both to incorporate. Serve with chutney or vegetable stew.
- We can use home made rice flour or store bought. I prefer home made only.
- You can add Peanuts also. It’s a nice combo with lemon.
- Instead of coconut oil, you can use refined oil or gingelly oil. I love the flavour of coconut oil along with rice flour that’s y I prefer coconut oil 🙂
- Adding coconut is optional only. Without coconut also it taste good.