Mango Vathal kuzhambu – Mangai Vathal Kuzhambu – South Indian Recipe
Mango Vathal Kuzhambu is an easy recipe which we can prepare frequently at home. Vathals are dried vegetables. We can prepare this using different vegetables.Its quite a long process.I heard that vegetables must be kept in sour milk and dried in sunlight. But Mango vathal is not like that.I used the home made one. We have mango tree in my grandma’s back yard. We just boil the mangoes in salt and turmeric with water. And then dried in sunlight,it takes days to dry completely. We can store it for years.Proper maintenance is needed to keep away from worms . It must be dried in sunlight every month for freshness.Let’s move on to the recipe.
Mango Vathal kuzhambu – Ingredients
- Mango vathal – 5 to 6
- Shallots or small onions – 5 to 6
- Garlic – 6 pods
- Tomato – 1 small (finely chopped)
- Tamarind – lemon size
- Kuzhambhu milagai thool/ chilli powder – 2 tbsp
- Salt – as needed
- Jaggery – 1 tsp
To temper :
- Gingelly oil – 3 tbsp
- Mustard/kadugu – 1 tsp
- Fenugreek/vendhayam – 1 tsp
- Cumin/Jeera – 1 tsp
- Vadagam – 1 tsp
- Wash mango vathal,cook for 5 to 10 mins in water. Drain it and keep aside.
- Peel off shallots,and garlic.Chop the tomatoes and set everything aside.
- Soak tamarind and salt together in hot water for 10 mins , extract the juice ,drain and keep aside.
- Now heat kadai,pour 2 tbsp of oil, add mustard, once it start splutters, add fenugreek, jeeragam and vadagam one by one.
- Give a quick stir, add chopped onions and garlic,sauté well till the raw smell leaves.
- Then add chopped tomatoes,sauté well, until it cooks completely.
- Then add chilli powder,stir well for 2 more minutes.
- Now add tamarind water,mix well. Once it starts to boil, add jaggery and cooked mango vathal.Cook till oil seperates and reaches the desired consistency.Switch off the stove and transfer to a bowl.
Serve hot with steamed rice and kootu
1.Jaggery is optional,it will give authentic taste for vatha kuzhambhu. Also it balances all the taste in kuzhambu.
2. You can reduce the tamarind size, if the mango is sour.
3.Use gingelly oil particularly. The aroma will be good with vatha kuzhambu
4.We can follow the same procedure for all other vathal kuzhambu.