Murgh Makhani | Recipe for Butter Chicken
Murgh Makhani or butter chicken is an Indian recipe and its origin is Punjabi cuisine. Chicken is marinated in curd , ginger garlic paste and spice powders like chili, coriander and cumin. We can also add pepper and garam masala for marination. After marination, we can grill or pan roast the chicken pieces and add to tomato gravy. Final touch with cream and kasoori methi for real flavor. This murgh makhani recipe is well go with all Indian flat breads and fried rice recipes. I have read that this butter chicken was developed in a restaurant Moti mahal, Delhi. This chicken gravy must be a favourite for many non vegetarian lovers as it is mildly spiced and creamy to have as a side dish.
Here is the method how to make Murgh makhani recipe
Murgh Makhani Recipe
- Chicken – ½ kg
- Tomatoes – 8 to 10 (pureed)
- Ginger garlic paste – 2 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Red chili powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Garam masala – 1 tsp
- Sugar or honey – 1 tbsp
- Fresh cream – 3 tbsp
- Salt – as needed
- Kasoori methi – 1 tbsp
- Oil – 1/4 cup (add more if needed)
- Butter – 4 tbsp
- Coriander leaves – ¼ cup (finely chopped)
- Onion paste – ½ cup
- Curd – 2 tbsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Cumin powder – 1 tsp
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tbsp
- Lemon Juice – 1 tbsp
- Salt – a generous pinch
- Wash chicken , marinate with the items given under “ to marinate”. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Heat a kadai, add oil ,once heated add marinated chicken and roast without adding water. Keep tossing until the chicken get fully cooked and the gravy gets fully absorbed to chicken.Turn off the flame now.
- Heat another pan, add butter, once heated add ginger garlic paste. Stir till the raw smell leaves.
- Add tomato puree and salt to ginger garlic paste and cook covered until the oil stand on top. It will take 8 to 10mins.
- Add spice powders turmeric, chili powder, coriander powder and garam masala to tomato mixture and stir for seconds.
- Add little water and allow boil. Now add the cooked chicken pieces to it.
- Cook covered till the gravy becomes thick and leaves oil on top.
- Add fresh cream and sugar, mix well and cook coverd for 5 mins to incorporate the cream in gravy.
- Add coriander leaves and kasoori methi, give a quick mix and turn off the flame.
Serve hot with roti/naan or fried rice
- We can use both boneless and with bones chicken
- Instead of cooking in stove top, we can grill in oven and use it in gravy. Its preferable method of making murgh makhani. Or deep roast the pieces in oil and drain it.
- Do not skip fresh cream and kasoori methi. It gives a rich texture and aroma.
You might like these recipes also: