Mushroom biryani |How to make mushroom biryani
Mushroom biryani / kalan biryani – easy Indian style mushroom biryani made with a mild spiciness. Perfect to go with cucumber raita or onion raita. Perhaps you may love to have with less spiced Indian curries. In fact, plain yogurt goes well with this rice. I usually make this biryani without coconut milk, as it is a cholesterol-rich ingredient. yet Coconut milk always enhances the taste of biryani recipes. As of your health condition, you can add or skip coconut milk.
You might like these biryani recipes also:
Prep time : 20 mins | cook time : 20 mins | serves : 5
Cuisine : Indian
Mushroom Biryani – Ingredients
Basmati rice – 2 cups
Mushroom – 1 pack or 2 cups ( I used button mushrooms)
Big onions – 2 nos( chopped lengthwise)
Tomatoes – 2 nos(finely chopped)
Ginger garlic paste – 2 tbsp
Green chillies – 3 nos(slitted)
Coconut milk – 1 cup
Coriander leaves – to garnish
Salt – as needed
Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
Coriander powder – 2 tsp
Turmeric powder – generous pinch
Garam masala – 1 tsp
Ghee + oil – 3 tbsp
Cinnamon – small stick
Cardamom – 2 pods
Cloves – 2 pods
Brinjj leaf – 1 no.
How to make Mushroom Biryani:
- Wash basmati rice and soak in water for at least 30 mins.
- Meanwhile clean mushrooms and chop in two halves.
- Heat a strong bottomed pan or pressure cooker, add ghee+ oil , season with cinnamon, cardamom, cloves and brinjj leaf.
- Add chopped onions, Sautee for a second then add ginger garlic paste and stir well till the smell goes off.
- Add finely chopped tomatoes and sprinkle some salt to it, cook until the tomatoes become mushy.
- Add spice powders ( red chili powder, turmeric powder,coriander powder, and garam masala) and mix well.
- Add cleaned and chopped mushrooms and stir for 3 mins or until it shrinks slightly.
- Add 3 cups of water and 1 cup of coconut milk to it. After it starts boiling, rinse the soaked rice , drain the water from rice and add.
- Cook covered in medium flame for 8 mins and turn off the flame.
- Add some chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with raita and any gravy.
- You can use normal rice or jeeraga samba rice instead of basmati rice.
- If you don’t take coconut milk, replace 1 cup of water for coconut milk.
- Adjust salt and spices as of your taste.
- After cooking the rice, let it sit for 15 to 20 mins before serving. Fluff the rice using fork or back side of the ladle with mashing the rice.