Naatu Kozhi Kuzhambhu | Chicken Recipes
Naatu kozhi kuzhambhu, south indian special especially in kongu and chettinad areas of tamilnadu. When comes to chicken recipes, we can prepare many varieties. If its country chicken, definitely its granny or mom’s method is best. Its my most lovable post as I prepared all masala in ammi kal ( Stone grinder)which gave wonderful flavor to the gravy. It’s a real happiness if we follow old age cooking methods. I always craving to prepare recipes like masal vada and non veg recipes using stone grinder.
Coconut from backyard 🙂
Its divine to cook country chicken in freshly grounded masala using sesame oil. So spicy and aromatic it was.
I explained the recipe almost to the easiest level for newbies too. Please write me if you need any clarifications or suggestions. You can send me your tried recipe snaps from my site. I would love to share with readers. Mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Here is the recipe.
Naatu Kozhi Kuzhambhu | Chicken Recipes – Ingredients
Prep time : 15 mins | marination : 30 mins | cook time : 30 mins
Category : Non veg recipes | Cuisine : south indian | Source : granny
- Naatu Kozhi (Country Chicken) – 1 kg
- Big onions – 1 no.(finely chopped)
- Garlic – 15 flakes ( well crushed)
- Tomatoes – 2 small ones or 1 big sized(finely chopped) ( Use ripped tomatoes)
- Red chili powder – 1 tsp
- Hot water – 2 to 3 cups
- Salt – as required
- Coriander leaves – to garnish
- Red chili powder – ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder – a generous pinch
- Salt – ¼ tsp
- Lemon Juice – 1 tsp
To roast and grind:
Set 1 :
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Red chilies – 10 to 12
- Coriander seeds – 1 tbsp
- Jeera seeds / Cumin – 1 tsp
- Fennel seeds – 1 tsp
- Pepper corns (Milagu) – 1 tsp
- Cloves ( Lavangam) – 2nos.
- Cardamom (Elaichi) – 1no.
- Cinnamon ( Pattai) – 1 inch piece
- Pearl onions(Shallots / Chinna vengayam) – 10 nos.
- Ginger – 25gms ( 3tbsp chopped)
- Coconut(shredded) – ½ cup
To temper :
- Gingelly Oil( Sesame oil) – 4 tbsp or as needed
- Bay leaf – small sized
- Cloves – 2 nos
- Cinnamon – ½ inch
- Curry leaves – 2 springs
- Wash chicken pieces thoroughly in tap water for 4 to 5 times.Add little turmeric powder and mix well to the chicken before last rinse. Mix well and wash with water.
- Add marination ingredients to washed chicken and blend well. Let it sit in refrigerator for 30 mins. Take off from refrigeration before 15 mins of cooking to reach room temperature.
- Chop onions, tomatoes, and crush garlic flakes to use.
- Heat a kadai, add oil, once heated keep the flame low and roast cinnamon, cardamom and cloves. Keep them aside.
- Add red chilies, roast for few seconds and place in a plate. Now add the coriander seeds, fennel seeds, cumin seeds and pepper corns. Roast them in low or medium flame till nice aroma comes.
- Grind roasted ingredients together as a paste or fine powder and keep aside.
- In a same kadai with remaining oil, add ginger pieces, shallots(china vengayam) and coconut. Saute for mins in low flame. Let it sit for some time to cool down. Then grind to smooth and fine paste.
- Heat a wok or strong bottom vessel to make gravy, add oil after it gets heated. Add the spices like cardamom,cinnamon, cloves and bay leaf to it.
- Add crushed garlic and curry leaves, sauté well. You can feel the nice aroma comes .Now add chopped onion and stir till the onion turns transparent. Make sure not to burn the onions and garlic in high flame. So reduce the heat and sauté well.
- Then add finely chopped tomatoes to it, sprinkle some salt over tomatoes. Its usual method to fast cook tomatoes 🙂
- Cook tomatoes by keep stirring to the consistency of pickle.
- Add the grinded two sets of masala to it and keep stirring continuously without sticking to the bottom.Add extra oil if needs.
- When the oil starts separating from masala, add marinated chicken pieces. Stir in medium flame for 5 to 8 mins. You can see the water oozes out from chicken.
- Add 2 cups of hot boiling water to it and then add salt. After it starts boiling,Keep the flame low and cover with lid.
- As it is country chicken it will take time to cook like minimum 15 to 20 mins.
- If the gravy is too thick, add one more cup of hot water and close the lid. But the chicken also leaves some water. So add water depends on it. Do not add water in the mid. If you think water is not enough, add at the initial stage itself.
- Also make sure you are adding correct salt level as we added salt while marination and sauteing the tomatoes also.
- Check occasionally the chicken is cooked well. If it is done, allow it to boil until it becomes thick gravy to go well with rice or roti. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and switch off the flame.
Serve hot with steamed rice / chapatis / roti / idly / dosa
- You can use the same procedures for normal( broiler) chicken also
- Grind the paste together as well instead of two sets. I need the first set to be very fine and smooth consistency. So I grinded separately.
- Depends on the chicken level you used , adjust the spice levels.
- If your chicken takes too long to cook, you can pressure cook for 4 to 5 hisses to cook fast.
- If you don’t want to add coconut, skip and follow the same procedures. But my recommendation is to add coconut because it gives a unique flavor and taste.
- Do not use cold water as it will make chicken pieces stiffer.
- Best to use sesame oil ( Nallennai) for country chicken. Option is to use refined oil too.
Check out my chicken recipes:
- Chicken 65
- Chicken kuzhambhu (restaurant style)
- Keralan Nadan chicken
- Spicy Chicken Gravy
- Mughlai chicken biryani
- Chicken Fry
- Chettinad pepper chicken
- Chicken kuzhambhu( No ginger No garlic Version)
- Chicken biryani (pressure cooker version)