Vengaya sambar – A simple and aromatic recipe to prepare in short time. No need to add veggies for this sambar. If you run out of veggies we can prepare this and serve with rice and papad.
Vengaya Sambar – Ingredients
- Toor dhal – ¼ cup
- Shallots / Small onions / vengayam – 10 nos
- Tamarind – small lemon sized
- Sambar powder – 1 ½ tbsp
- Turmeric powder – a pinch
- Hing / Asafoetida / Perungayam – ¼ tsp
- Salt – as needed
To season :
- Refined oil – 2 tsps
- Mustard – ½ tsp
- Urad dal – ½ tsp
- Curry leaves – few
- Wash toor dal and pressure cook it with enough water and turmeric.
- Peel off shallots and halve it lengthwise.
- Heat a wok or kadai and then add refined oil. Once the oil heated, season with mustard, Urad dal ,hing and curry leaves.
- Add chopped shallots. Saute well till the onion turns transparent.
- Add cooked dal and allow it to boil.
- Extract tamarind juice and drain using a drainer to discard the tamarind skins and residues if any.
- Add sambar powder and salt to tamarind juice and stir well without any lumps.
- Add this mixture to boiling dhal. Mix well and cook for 3 mins and turn off the stove.
- Finally add coriander leaves and close with a plate.
Serve with steamed rice/idli/dosa
- 1.Onion alone is enough for this sambar. You can add carrots or some veggies to it if you want.
- 2. I added hing while seasoning. You can add it while cooking dhal itself.
- 3. Adjust the salt level as per the taste.
- 4. Do not add more water then the sambar will be runny.
- 5. Drizzle some ghee over the sambar while serving for heavenly taste.