Onion Tomato Chicken | Chicken Recipes
Onion Tomato chicken – A dry chicken recipe that we can serve as a starter or as a side dish with any rice. It’s very simple to make, especially it’s a bachelor’s recipe who cannot grind to make spicy chicken recipes can make this. You can accompany this with Indian flat bread too.
You might be interested in these dry recipes :
Onion Tomato Chicken Recipe
Prep time : 10 mins | cook time : 20 mins | serves : 2
Cuisine : Indian
- Chicken – ½ kg( Preferably boneless)
- Big onions – 1 cup (finely chopped)
- Tomatoes – ¾ cup ( Finely chopped)
- Green chilies – 3 nos.(slitted)
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 ½ tbsp
- Red chili paste – 1 tsp (Optional)
- Red chili powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tbsp
- Salt – as needed
- Coriander leaves – finely chopped( handful)
- Oil – 3 tbsp +3 tbsp
- Curry leaves – 2 sprig
- Cardamom – 1 no
- Cinnamon stick ( pattai) – 1 inch
- Bay leaf – 1 no.
- Cloves – 2 nos.
- Wash chicken thoroughly. Add 1/8 tsp of turmeric powder, give a mix and rinse for two more times.Drain the water completely and keep aside.
- Chop onions and tomatoes and set ready.
- Heat a Kadai, add oil, once heated add the seasonings given under “ to temper”. After the color slightly changes, add washed chicken pieces and curry leaves and salt.
- Stir in medium flame for 1 min. Close with a lid and cook in low flame for 10 mins. No need to add water. The water which leaves from chicken is enough to cook. Turn off the flame after the chicken cooked well.
- Heat another kadai, add oil once it gets heated, add chopped onions and slitted green chilies. Saute till the slightly turns pink. Now add ginger garlic paste and stir till the raw smell leaves.
- Add tomatoes and red chili paste on it and sprinkle some salt. Cook till the tomatoes turn mushy.Add red chili powder and coriander powder to it and mix well.
- Add cooked chicken pieces to onion tomato gravy. Keep the flame medium and stir occasionally.
- Stir till the chicken coats well with masala and become dry. Add coriander leaves finally and turn off the flame.
Serve as a side dish for pulavs, biryani or rice
- Drain the water completely after washing the chicken.
- Adjust the spice and salt level as for your taste. While adding salt, make sure you adding correct level. Because we added two times, one for cooking the chicken and making gravy. So keep an eye of not making it over salty.
- No need to add water, it will get cooked in water oozes from chicken. But cook in low flame.
- Do not over sauté onions, the crunchiness adds more taste for this dish.
- Addition of red chili paste is completely option. I used to add red chili paste in many of my dishes specially for photography purpose 🙂
Check out my other chicken recipes also :
- Chicken Kuzhambhu
- Spicy Chicken gravy
- Mughalai chicken Biryani
- Chettinad Pepper chicken
- Naatu Kozhi kuzhambhu
- Chicken biryani (Pressure cooker version)