Paruppu Payasam | Moong dhal Kheer
Paruppu payasam!! You can call it as moong dhal kheer/Moong dhal pudding as well J.. This is one of the highly nutritious dessert.. This payasam is all about simplicity made with moong dhal, jaggery and milk with a hint of aromatic ghee and nuts. Which is a common dessert in south indian houses for all occasions.
Paruppu Payasam – Ingredients:
- Moong dhal – 1 cup
- Jaggery/Vellam – ¾ cup(Powdered)
- Milk – ½ cup
- Coconut Milk – ¼ cup
- Ghee – 2 tbsp
- Cashews & Raisins -1/4 cup
- Cardamom powder – a pinch
- Dry roast Moong dal and pressure cook for 4 whistles(with 2 ½ cups of water)
- Mash the cooked dhal using ladle. Keep it aside.
- Immerse jaggery in hot water for 10 mins.Then filter to remove the residues.
- Prepare ¼ cup of coconut milk from ½ cup of coconut.
- Heat a heavy bottomed pan,add 1 tbsp of ghee, roast the cashews and raisins in it.
- In the same pan, cook moong dhal+1/4 cup of water, once it starts boiling, add drained jaggery water and milk.Let it cook for 5 mins.
- Finally add coconut milk, Cardamom powder, cashews and raisins. Give a quick stir. Do not over cook after adding coconut milk. It will start to curdle. Now switch off the stove and add remaining 1 tbsp of ghee.
Serve this wonderful dessert as hot or cold
- If you want to re-heat payasam, do not heat in stove. Boil some water in a bowl, keep payasam container inside the bowl.
- You can adjust the sweet level by adding jaggery.
- Also by adding more milk,you can adjust the consistency of payasam.