Paruppu Urundai Kuzhambhu | South Indian Recipes
Paruppu urundai kuzhambu , Lentil dumplings cooked in tamarind water and chilli spices. It is good to have with steamed rice, idli or dosa. It’s a special south Indian vegetarian recipe to have for lunch.
Paruppu Urundai Kuzhambhu | South Indian Recipes – Ingredients
Prep time : 15 mins | soak time : 1 hr | cook time : 20 mins | Serves : 4
Cusinr : Indian | Category: Kuzhambhu recipes | Source : here
To make Lentil balls(Urundai) :
- Channa dal(kadalai paruppu) – ½ cup
- Red chilies – 4 nos
- Saunf(fennel seeds) – ½ tsp
- Hing( Perungayam) – a generous pinch
- Salt- 1 tsp
- Onion – ½ cup( finely chopped)
- Coriander leaves – ¼ cup (finely chopped)
- Big onions or shallots – ½ cup (chopped)
- Garlic flakes – 10 nos
- Tomatoes – ½ cup(Chopped)
- Tamarind – lemon size
- Kuzhambhu chili powder – 2 tbsp
- Red chili powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tbsp
- Coriander leaves – handful( chopped)
- Salt – as needed
- Oil – 4 tbsp
- Mustard – 1 tsp
- Fenegreek seeds – ½ tsp
- Curry Leaves – few springs
- Soak channa dal in water for one hr.
- In a mixer, add red chili and fennel seeds, give a quick grind for coarse level.
- Drain soaked channa dal,add in a mixer. Grind it to coarse level. Do not grind it to finer level.
- In a bowl, add chopped onions, coriander leaves, grounded channa mix , hing and salt. Mix all together , pinch a small portion and make it as round ball, Do the same for remaining
- Arrange the lentil balls in idli plate and steam it for ten minutes and cool in a plate.
- Soak tamarind water for 10 mins, squeeze and drain the water.
- Mix chili powder, coriander powder, kuzhambhu chili powder, salt and coriander leaves in tamarind water and keep aside.
- Heat a wok, add oil, then add mustard and fenugreek. Once it start spluttering, add chopped onions and garlic flakes. After it starts turning golden color, add chopped tomatoes and sauté till it becomes mushy.
- Add tamarind water mixture to it. After it starts boiling, add steamed lentil balls. Cook until the gravy becomes thick. Switch off the flame and garnish with coriander leaves.
Serve hot with steamed rice.
- Grind channa masala to coarse level, Finer level makes the dumplings strong.
- Add salt as correct level in kuzhambhu.we added salt in urundai also.
If you look for other kuzhambhu recipes,
- Paagarkai Kuzhambhu
- Chettinad poondu Kuzhambhu
- Onion sambar
- Vendakkai Kara kuzhambhu
- Mango Vathal kuzhambhu