Peas Pulao|Rice Recipes
Peas Pulao / Pattani Pulav / Pattani sadam – Healthy and tasty lunch box recipe. If we set the ingredients ready these peas Pulav will take very less time to prepare.One of my friend asked me to post some lunch box recipes as she gets bored with repeated menus. So I want to post some easy and different from usual rice recipes. Peas are normally availing ingredient in a home so we can make a healthy pot meal with it.I used to chop everything and keep it in refrigerator before night itself. So it will not take much time in the morning.
Perhaps it’s a very simple method of peas Pulav but the taste will be awesome. Raita’s alone will go well with it.The options we can use some good spicy semi gravies. Top with grated cheese and minced spring onions if you have stock. My combos with this rice Northern touch potato gravy and chat masala flavored cucumber raita.
Check out how to make peas pulao recipe.
Hope you all enjoy this recipe. Write me your feedback and suggestions.
You may also like :
Prep time : 10 mins Cook time : 25 mins serves : 2
Peas Pulao Recipe – Ingredients
- Basmati Rice – 1 cup
- Peas – ½ cup( I used Frozen)
- Big Onions – 2nos(Medium sized)
- Ginger garlic paste – 2 tbsp
- Green chili – 3 nos(Slitted)
- Carrot – 1 no.
- Water – 1 ½ cups(Boiled)
- Salt – as needed
- Coriander leaves – few (to garnish)
- Cheese – few ( grated) ( For topping) (optional)
- Ghee – 1 tbsp
- Refined Oil – 1 tbsp
- Bay leaf – 1no.
- Cinnamon – 1 inch piece
- Cloves – 2 nos.
- Cardamom – 2 nos.
- If you use frozen peas, soak it in enough water for overnight. Rinse with tap water for two times and pressure cook with salt for 5 whistles.
- Wait until the pressure releases fully. Then open and drain the water completely and keep aside.
- Chop 2 big onions finely in lengthwise. Slit the green chilies and keep aside. Peel off the carrot skin and chop as fine cubes.
- Make ready the ginger garlic paste. Whatever if it store bought or home made. I used home made. I have a habit of storing ginger garlic paste as it will be easy to use in tough times.
- Now will start the recipe. Soak basmati rice in water for at least 20mins. Do not drain the water until we use it for cooking as it will break while cooking.
- In these 20 mins, we will sauté the veggies and peas. Heat a strong bottomed kadai or pressure cooker.
- Add ghee and oil together in a mentioned level.Once it gets heated(don’t let it smoky as it will burn the seasonings) season with the items given under “ To temper”. Firstly, add cinnamon, cardamom, cloves,and finally Bay leaf.
- Wait till it has slightly changed to golden color, but don’t let it burn. Now add chopped onions and green chilies together. Saute on medium flame until the onion changes to light golden brown as the taste will be exotic the onion starts caramelizing.
- It’s time to add Ginger garlic paste. Add and stir till the raw smell leaves. You can identify that by seeing the paste will start to stick slightly on the pan.
- Add cubed carrots and pressure cooked peas to it and Stir for 1 minute.
- Add boiled water ( 1 ½ cups) to this seasoning. Once it starts boiling, add water soaked basmati rice and required salt.
- Close with a lid and cook in low flame for 10 mins.Switch off the flame and garnish with coriander leaves.
- We can top with grated cheese as it will enhance the taste.
Serve with onion/ Cucumber raita and some spicy gravies
Some gravy recipes to serve with this rice:
- Do not add more water to rice as we already soaked the rice for 20 mins. 1 ½ cup of water is enough.
- We can completely add refined oil alone. But the combination of ghee results flavorful rice.
- After cooking do not mash the rice while tossing. Use backside of the ladle to toss.
- Adjust the salt level as per taste.
- For 1 cup of rice 3 green chilies are more than enough . If you think you need spicier, add one more green chili. But more spiciness will dominate the taste.
- Topping with grated cheese is completely optional. Not only for this peas Pulav, topping of cheese we can apply for all Pulavs .
- Instead of Basmati rice, we can use normal rice alone. You have to soak the normal rice for at least 30 mins to 45 mins. Same like you can use 1 ½ cups or 1 ¾ cups of water(Boiled).
- Use boiled water. Chilled or plain water will make the peas stiff.