Poosanikai Kootu | side dish
Ashgourd Kootu – Poosanikai Kootu – Healthy and tasty accompaniment for all kind of rice.
Here is how to make poosanikai kootu.
Ashgourd Kootu – Poosanikai Kootu – Ingredients
- Ashgourd/Poosanikai – 1 cup(Peeled and cubed)
- Channa dal(Bengal gram/ Kadalai paruppu) – ½ cup
- Turmeric – ¼ tsp
- Salt – as needed
- Coconut – ¼ cup
- Green chillies – 2nos
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
To temper :
- Coconut oil/Refined oil – 1 tsp
- Mustard – 1 tsp
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Small onions(Shallots) – 2 to 3 nos.(Finely chopped)
- Curry leaves – 1 spring
- Peel the outer skin of Poosanikai and halve it. Just take off the seeds from inner part , wash thoroughly and cut them into small cubes.
- Cook this with 2 cups of water by adding a pinch of turmeric and salt.
- Meanwhile pressure cook channa dal, mash it and keep aside.
- Grind Coconut, green chillies and cumin seeds together as a smooth paste and set aside.
- Now add the mashed channa dal to cooked ash gourd. Allow it to boil then add the grounded paste to it. Let it cook for 4 to 5 mins.
- Turn off the flame once the kootu becomes thicken and the veggie get cooked soft.
- Add hing while tempering if you want. But its purely optional.
- Don’t mash the veggie while cooking.
- In place of channa dal, you can replace Moong dal or thoor dal.
You might like these recipes also: