Potato Masala/Poori Masala
Poori and Potato masala… a famous and fantastic combo..Its an easy and versatile recipe. I posted this for beginners in cooking.I love to have poori and potato masala in restaurants J I don’t know y. But the taste always exotic.Yes the equal amount of onions with potato works.Lets move on to recipe
- Potato – 250gms
- Big onions – 2 nos(finely chopped – lengthwise)
- Tomato – 1 no. (Finely chopped)
- Green chilles – 4 nos.(slitted)
- Ginger – small piece(crushed)
- Besan flour/Kadalai Maavu – 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Coriander leaves – For garnish
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Mustard – 1 tsp
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Fennel seeds – 1 tsp
- Channa dal – 1 tsp
- Pepper corns(Milagu) – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – few springs
- Pressure cook potatoes,peel off the skin , mash it using ladle and keep aside.
- Chop onions,tomatoes and green chillies.
- Mix besan flour with water as a runny mixture and keep aside.
- Now heat oil in pan, temper with the items one by one given under “to temper” .
- Then add onions,green chillies and crushed ginger,sauté well till onion turns transparent.
- Now add tomatoes and turmeric powder, stir until it turns soft.
- Add potatoes, blend well, add some water and salt. Allow it to boil for 2 mins.
- Finally add the besan flour mixture,once it turns the semi thick gravy, turn off the stove.Garnish with coriander leaves.
Transfer to a serving bowl and serve with hot fluffy poori’s J
- Adding besan flour is optional,this is for thickness of Masala only.
- You can add crushed garlic in place of ginger.
- This recipe is versatile to make improvisations, you can try with carrot and peas in addition.
- Adding cashews will give rich texture and taste.
- You can use the left over masala for Masal dosai.