Pudalangai dal |Dal Recipes |Pudalangai kootu
Pudalangai dal or pudalangai kootu is a delicious recipe and perfect go with plain rice or as side dish.Snake gourd cooked along with moong dal and added some freshly grounded coconut mix to enhance the taste. Enjoy this exotic pappu with steamed rice.
Pudalangai kootu recipe
- Snake gourd (Pudalangai ) – ½ cup )finely chopped
- Moong dal – ½ cup
- Turmeric powder – 1/8 tsp
- Hing (perungayam) 1/8 tsp
- Salt – as needed
- Coriander leaves – ¼ cup ( finely chopped)
- Coconut – ¼ cup (Shredded)
- Jeera( Cumin seeds ) – ½ tsp
- Green chili – 2 nos.
To season :
- Refined oil / ghee/ coconut oil – 2 tsp
- Mustard – ½ tsp
- Urad dal – ½ tsp
- Red chilies – 2 nos.
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig.
- Wash pudalangai, scrap the outer skin slightly and again wash it. Cut in middle and remove the spongy centre part.
- Chop the outer thick skin as thin slices.
- Grind coconut, green chilies and jeera together as a smooth paste and keep aside.
- Wash ½ cup of moong dal and pressure cook or cook in stove top by adding 3 cups of water.
- Let it cook for 15 mins. Once its half done , add chopped pudalangai, grounded paste,turmeric and hing.
- Cook for 10 more mins to completely cook pudalangai and dal . Add chopped coriander leaves, stir and turn off the flame.
- Heat a season pan or tawa, add oil and season with the items given under “ to season”. Add the seasoning to cooked dal and mix well.
- You can pressure cook dal and pudalangai together for four whistles. Its easy method too. While cooking, add turmeric and hing to it.
- For more flavor ,add a generous pinch of hing while seasoning.
You might like these recipes also: