Rava Appalu / Rava Appam
Appam is the traditional recipe to prepare in festival seasons. I referred this Rava Appam in Harichandana’s Indian cuisine. I haven’t heard of Rava appam/Paniyaram before. We used to prepare in Maida. This rava appam is very different and delectable. The measurements which I mentioned here is perfect. No need to adjust any levels. I used freshly grated coconut. You can use copra as well. Lets see the preparation of Rava Appam.
Rava Appam – Rava Appalu – Rava Paniyaram – Festival Recipes
- Rava / Sooji – ½ cup
- Sugar – ½ cup
- Water – 1 cup
- Grated Coconut (dry) – 3 tbsp
- Cardamom Powder – 1 tsp
- Ghee – 1 tbsp
- Oil – to deep fry
- Heat a heavy bottomed pan, dry roast the sooji for 3 mins or till the nice aroma comes from the rava and keep aside.
- Heat water in the same pan to rolled boiling. Then add the roasted sooji in water little by little and keep stirring without any lumps.
- Then add sugar and stir well. Finally add the grated coconut, ghee and cardamom powder.
- Stir together and cook closed with a lid for 5 minutes in low flame.
- Wait until it becomes thick dough. Then turn off the flame and allow the dough to cool down.
- Once it becomes hand resisting heat,knead the dough lightly and make small lemon size balls.
- Meanwhile heat the oil to fry the appams.
- Once the oil heated, keep it in medium flame and shape the lemon size balls by pressing with palms and fry in oil till it becomes golden brown.
- Fry equally on both sides.
- Then drain the oil completely and place it in a kitchen tissue to absorb the excess oil.
- Dry roast the sooji if it is double roasted as well.Dont burn the rava while roasting.
- One cup of water is enough for ½ cup rava. No need to add more water.
- Make sure there is no lumps in the dough. If there is any lumps , knead it well.
- While kneading, it will be little sticky. So grease your palms with ghee and knead.
- After making the dough to balls, press gently to make appams.
- Fry the appams to golden brown, if it burns that will taste bitter. So fry in medium flame and completely drain the oil.