15 to 20 nos shallots or small onions
1/4 lemon size Tamarind
10 to 12 nos red chillies
as needed salt
4 tbsp gingelly / sesame oil
1/2 tsp mustard
1/2 tsp Urad dal
1 sprig curry leaves
Vengaya chutney recipe / onion tamarind chutney – spicy tanginess filled chutney to make as a wonderful side dish for idli or dosa. The best part I love this chutney is , it has a shelf period for one week if refrigerated. I used to make a batch on weekends. So it will come as handy whenever we out of time to make a side dish for idli dosa. I already posted onion chutney, a method slightly differ from this vengaya chutney recipe.
How to make vengaya chutney recipe:
- Peel shallots(small onions), wash and grind with red chilies and tamarind to a smooth consistency.
- Add salt while grinding or seasoning.
- To season, heat a kadai, add oil, once heated, add mustard and urad dal. After the urad dal turns light brown, add curry leaves and ground chutney.
- Cook in medium low flame till oil floats on top.
- Adjust red chilies depend on your need of spiciness.
- Add salt according to your taste.
- Use of gingelly oil makes this chutney tasty and healthy.
- You can store this chutney for one week by refrigerating.
You might like these chutney recipes also:
- Coconut Chutney (with red chili and Tamarind)
- Coriander Chutney
- Tomato Chutney(Green Chili Version)
- Peanut Chutney
- Kara Chutney
- Coconut Chutney
- Tomato chutney(Red chili version)
- Brinjal Kothsu
- Groundnut Chutney