15 to 20 nos shallots or small onions
1 no Tomatoes
Lemon size Tamarind
1 cup coconut Milk
1/4 tsp Hing / Asafoetida
3 tbsp Kuzhambhu Milagai Thool
as needed salt
4 tbsp gingelly / sesame oil
1/2 tsp mustard
1/2 tsp Fenugreek Seeds
1/2 tsp Cumin / Jeera seeds
1 sprig curry leaves
Vengaya Kuzhambhu recipe – shallots cooked in coconut milk. This tangy kuzhambhu pair well with steam hot rice, idli or dosa. You can keep this gravy for 3 days if refrigerated. I used to cook in gingelly oil only and I add more oil to preserve this for 3dayd. If you do so, this kuzhambhu will remain good for at least 2 days.
How to make vengaya kuzhambhu recipe:
- Soak tamarind in 1 cup of hot water for 10 mins. Squeeze well and extract the pulp.
- Heat a kadai, add oil, once heated, add mustard, jeera, and fenugreek. Once the ingredients start to splutter, add shallots and curry leaves. Saute well till the shallots turns transparent.
- Add finely chopped tomatoes to it and cook well till the tomatoes become mushy.
- Add kuzhambhu milk thool (red chili powder) to it and give a nice mix. Keep the flame low while doing this to avoid burning.
- Add tamarind pulp along with a cup of water and mix well.
- Add coconut milk to it , once it starts boiling, add hing and cook till it becomes medium thick and oil starts floating on top.
Please see stepwise pictures below.
You might like these recipes also:
- Chettinad Poondu kuzhambhu
- Onion Sambar
- Vendakai Kara Kuzhambhu
- Drumstick Kara Kuzhambhu
- Arachuvita Sambar
- Mango Vathal Kuzhambhu
- Paagarkai Kuzhambu
- Chow chow Poricha kuzhambhu( Chayote Squash)
- Paruppu Urundai Kuzhambhu
- Pudalangai dal
- potato Masala Kuzhambu
- Sodhi Kuzhambhu
- Avarakai Sambar
- Avarakai paruppu curry