Spicy Baby Potato – Baby Potato Curry
Today’s recipe – Spicy baby potato curry. Baby potatoes are less in calories and naturally fat free. In India these potatoes are popular for making Dum aloo.
This spicy baby potato curry is a best accompaniment with sambar or rasam. You can have this with chapathi as well.
Baby Potato Curry – Ingredients
- Baby Potatoes – 1 pack(10 – 15nos)
- Big onions – 2 nos(Finely chopped)
- Tomato(riped) – 2 nos(Pureed)
- Green chillies – 3 nos(Slitted)
- Coriander leaves – few ( to garnish)
- Salt – as needed
- Coriander seeds – 1 tbsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 ½ tsp
Paste 2 :
- Green chillies – 2 nos.
- Garlic – 5 flakes
- Ginger – small inch piece
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Bay leaf – 1 no.
- Cardamom – 2 nos.
- Cinnamon – small inch piece
- Cloves – 2 nos.
- Curry leaves – few
- Pressure cook potatoes with salt , peel off the skin and keep aside.
- Now heat a pan, roast coriander seeds and cumin seeds. Cool down and grind to a fine powder.
- Then grind green chillies, garlic and ginger together as a coarse paste and keep aside.
- Chop onions and green chilli and take puree from the tomato.
- Heat a heavy bottomed pan, pour oil and season with the items given under “ to season”
- Now add the chopped onions, sauté well till the onion turns transparent.
- Then add the grounded green chilli, ginger garlic paste. Stir well till the raw smell leaves.
- Now add the pureed tomato and stir well until it leaves oil on sides.
- Then add grounded coriander and cumin powder to it. Mix well and add cooked baby potatoes.
- Sprinkle some salt and water to it. Cook closed with a lid for 5 mins. The turn off the stove and garnish with coriander leaves.
- If you want more spicy, you can add tsp of chilli powder as well.
- Adjust the salt level as needed.
- If the masala doesnt blend well with the potato, cook with 1 cup of water along with the masala. Allow it to boil till it fully observes the water.