Sweet Potato Halwa recipe | shakarkandi halwa recipe
Sweet Potato Halwa recipe | shakarkandi halwa recipe – A nutrition rich dessert with low calorie.This sweet potato halwa recipe (sakkaravalli kizhanghu ) usually available in December to January that is in harvest season. The desserts and other recipes using this ingredient will be prepared for fasting.It will give high energy during those days as it is rich in Vitamin A. This instant halwa recipe can be prepared in two ways. One is,Without boiling the potato, just grate and prepare the halwa. Second one is to pressure cook, mash and then preparing the dessert. Use fresh sweet potatoes without any husks or strands. check out how to make shakarkandi halwa recipe.
Sweet Potato Halwa | Sweets – Ingredients
Prep time : 15 mins | Cook time : 20 mins | Serves : 3
Cuisine : Indian | category : Sweets
To pressure cook sweet potato:
- Sweet Potato – 3 small sized
- Water – 4 cups
- Sugar – ¾ cup
- Milk – 1 ½ cups
- Ghee – ¼ cup
- Cardamom powder – ¼ tsp
- Almonds (crushed) – 4 tbsp
- Red food color – a pinch
How to make sweet potato halwa recipe:
- Pressure cook sweet potato with 4 cups of water for 5 hisses.
- Once the pressure completely releases, drain the water and cool down the Sakkaravalli kizhanghu. Peel off the outer skin and mash it well.
- Heat a strong bottomed pan,add ghee, then mashed sweet potato. Keep the flame low and stir for 2mins in ghee.
- Slowly add milk and stir to completely blend the mashed potato with milk. Make sure there is no lumps.
- Once the mixture starts bubbling , add sugar and mix well.
- If the halwa starts thickening, add food color and ghee. Stir well till the halwa leaves the ghee on sides.
- Finally add the crushed almonds and turn off the flame.
- This halwa will be little sticky when compared to other halwas. So don’t think you didn’t attain the perfect stage of halwa.
- This halwa consumes more ghee. Addition of more ghee will increase the taste.
- Not only almonds, you can add any nuts. As I added raw almonds. But the choice is yours, you can ghee roast and add as well.