Tomato Thokku / Thakkali thokku
Tomato thokku is a very easy and simple dish to prepare .With very few ingredients one can make this thokku in a short time.I added garlic but you can omit and prepare this with onions alone which tastes different. I usually add more oil to preserve it for days. I often prepare this and store it in refrigerator for about a week.It can be enjoyed as a side dish for idli, dosa,or chapathi. It goes well with rice also. This dish is pretty much helpful on busy weekdays.
Preparation time : 10 mins | Cook time : 10 mins | serves : 3
Recipe Category: Side dish
Recipe Cuisine : South indian
Tomato Thokku – Ingredients:
- Tomatoes – 5nos (finely Chopped)
- Big Onion – 1no (finely Chopped)
- Garlic – 8 flakes (crushed)
- Red Chilli Powder – 2tsp
- Gingelly Oil – 3tbsp
- Mustard – 1tsp
- Fenugreek seeds – 1tsp
- Urad Dal – 1tsp
- Curry Leaves – few
- Heat a kadai, add 2tbsp of oil,once it heated add mustard, it starts spluttering, now urad dal and fenugreek seeds, once it turns light brown, add curry leaves.
- Then add chopped onions and crushed garlic, sauté well till the raw smell leaves and onion becomes transparent.
- Finally add chopped tomatoes, sprinkle some salt over the tomatoes to easy cook .
- Once the tomatoes become mushy, add red chilli powder,blend well and keep stirring without sticking on the pan.
- cook till the oil get separated. Switch off the stove once it done.
Serve with idli, dosai, chapathi or curd rice.
- Use gingelly oil for tempering, it gives nice aroma for this thokku.
- Cook tomatoes in medium flame. If it starts to burnt, the flavour will not be nice.
- You can refrigerate it for 3 to 4 days. Before every usage, heat pan ,add 1 tsp of gingelly oil, give a quick stir of thokku for 1 – 2 mins and serve hot.