Today’s Recipe – Ven Pongal.
Ven Pongal is a traditional south indian breakfast which is accompanied with Vada, coconut chutney and sambar in south indian houses. The occasions of south india will not fulfill without this breakfast 🙂 .But the real taste is in method of preparation. Yes the soft texture of pongal with ghee touch will taste good. Hope the notes and method will help to get perfect pongal. Lets see the pongal prep 🙂
Ven Pongal – Ingredients
- Raw Rice – 1 cup
- Moong dal/Paasi Paruppu – ½ cup or ¾ cup
- Ginger – ½ inch piece (grated)
- Salt – as needed.
- Ghee – 4 tbsp
- Pepper corns/Milagu – 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Curry Leaves – few springs
- Cashews – 5 to 6 nos.
- Heat a kadai, dry roast moong dal and raw rice separately and pressure cook with 4 cups of water with grated ginger.
- Once the pressure releases,open and add salt then mash gently with ladle.
- Now heat ghee in a pan, roast the cashews and add to the pongal.
- Then add one more spoon of ghee in kadai and temper with pepper corns and cumin seeds. Finally add curry leaves.
- Add this seasoning to pongal and mix well.
Serve hot with coconut chutney and sambar
- While cooking dal and rice, add little more water than usual. Pongal will be good if it is little sticky.
- You can also add chopped green chillies while seasoning . It will enhance the flavor.
- Adjust the ghee level as you needed.