Vendakai Kara Kuzhambhu
Vendakai kara kuzhambhu – its simple and delicious accompaniment for steamed rice.
Vendakkai Kara Kuzhambhu – Ingredients
- Vendakkai/ Lady’s finger – 1 cup/200gms.
- Big onion – 1 no(finely chopped)
- Garlic – 8 to 10 pods
- Green chillies – 3 nos.(slitted)
- Tomatoes – 2 nos ( finely chopped)
- Kuzhambhu milagai thool – 1 ½ tbsp
- Curry leaves – 1 spring
- Coconut – ¼ cup
- Jeera – 1 tsp
- Gingelly oil – 2 to 4 tbsp
- Mustard – 1 tsp
- Fenugreek – 1 tsp
- Wash lady’s finger ( okra/ vendakai/ bhindi) and cut into small pieces. Peel off onion and garlic. Cut onion into small pieces. Chop the tomatoes finely and slit the green chillies.Grind the ingredients given under “ to grind” to a smooth paste . Keep all these aside.
- In a pan, heat oil and temper with mustard, fenugreek and curry leaves.
- Now add the chopped onions and then garlic and green chillies. Stir well till the onion turns transparent.
- Then add the chopped lady’s finger and sprinkle some salt over it. Saute well for 5 mins in lower flame then add the chopped tomatoes and stir well.
- Stir well for 5 more mins until the tomatoes become mushy and the lady’s finger become half cooked.
- Then add the kuzhambhu milagai thool,salt and water. Mix well and then add the grounded paste.
- Allow it to boil for 7 mins or till the oil seperates and turn off the flame.
Serve hot with steamed rice and papad/ kootu
- While chopping the lady’s finger, check whether any worms in it and discard.
- Instead of kuzhambhu milagai thool we can use red chilli powder and coriander powder separately.
- While grinding the coconut, we can add cashews to get richer taste.
- Adjust the salt level as per your taste.
(Visited 171 times, 1 visits today)